Creamy Poblano Rice with Chicken will jazz up your chicken and rice with its wonderful combination of flavors. Your guests and family will come back for more!
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small poblano chile pepper, finely chopped
- 2 (about 8 ounces total) boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes or paprika (optional)
- 1 cup uncooked medium or short grain rice
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (12 fluid ounces) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom pieces, drained
HEAT 2 tablespoons oil in large, nonstick saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and chile pepper; cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes. Add chicken, black pepper and red pepper flakes; cook, stirring frequently, until chicken is lightly browned and no longer pink. Remove chicken mixture to bowl; set aside.
HEAT remaining oil in same saucepan over medium heat. Add rice; stir to coat well. Microwave broth in 1-quart microwave-safe measuring cup on HIGH (100%) power for 3 1/2 to 4 minutes or until very hot.
ADD hot broth to rice small amounts at a time, stirring constantly. Allow each addition of broth to be absorbed before adding more. Once broth is gone, add evaporated milk in the same manner, stirring until absorbed. The process will take between 25 to 35 minutes. When the rice soft, stir in reserved chicken mixture and mushrooms. Rice should be creamy, not soupy.
Review This Recipe
RICE & CHICKEN
Being the wimp that I am, I had to do some substituting and cutting down of some of the ingredients......the chile pepper, etc. All in all a very good recipe.....for this rice lover anyway.
Read More Reviews