Crowd Pleasin' Cheesy Sausage Ziti
Crowd Pleasing' Cheesy Sausage Ziti is a new twist on a classic favorite! Traditional mac & cheese becomes even more delicious with the addition of chicken sausage, ziti pasta and a crispy cheddar cracker topping. Introduce macaroni and cheese devotees to their new favorite pasta dish at your next neighborhood potluck!
- 1 box (16 oz. pkg.) dry ziti, cooked and drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cans (12 fl. oz. each) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups (two 8-oz. pkgs.) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 4 links (12 oz.) fully-cooked chicken sausage, cut lengthwise into quarters and into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 cup crumbled cheese snack crackers
Directions, Reviews, Nutrition
HEAT oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions; cook until softened. Whisk in flour; cook, stirring constantly, until mixture turns light brown, about 3 minutes. Gradually whisk in evaporated milk, garlic powder, salt and pepper; cook, stirring constantly, until sauce is thickened, about 5 minutes. Add 3 1/2 cups cheese; stir until melted. Add pasta and sausage; stir until thoroughly coated. Pour mixture into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with crackers and remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
BAKE for 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbling around edges and golden brown.
What did you think? Share Your Review »
Thank you for reviewing this recipe.
Cheesy Sausage Ziti brings comfort!
I made this recipe for my good friend and neighbor who recently had a baby. It was just a day after they came home from the hospital and I wanted to bring her a little tasty comfort food that the whole family could enjoy. It was a big hit with everyone, even the 3 year old. The sausage I happened to have on hand was smoked bratwurst which gave it a lovely rich smokey flavor. I will certainly make this recipe again.
The name says it all
I made this for dinner and everyone loved it. It is even better the next night warmed up. I will definately make this again. "It is yummy"
Not Healthy but Good
It was easy, I used some chicken I had instead of the sausage. I also did half a green pepper and half an onion, instead of a whole onion. You need to have a green salad or some kind of vegetables to balance out all the cheese.
Perfect quick meal!
I only had bulk sausage ,so I browned it and drained the grease and followed the recipe, perfect! Great taste! Husband loved it!
Serving Size: 1/18 of Recipe
Servings Per Recipe: 18
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 300
- Calories from Fat: 130
- Total Fat: 15g (23% of DV)
- Saturated Fat: 9g (45% of DV)
- Cholesterol: 50mg (17% of DV)
- Sodium: 380mg (16% of DV)
- Carbohydrates: 26g (9% of DV)
- Dietary Fiber: 1g (4% of DV)
- Sugars: 7g
- Protein: 14g
- Vitamin A: 6% of DV
- Vitamin C: 2% of DV
- Calcium: 35% of DV
- Iron: 6% of DV
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.