This gourmet Crunchy Orange Chicken Salad has a sweet and creamy dressing and the crunchy flavors of almonds and celery. Great for summertime lunch party or just a light dinner.
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 2/3 cup (5 fl.-oz. can) * NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1 large egg, well beaten
- 3 cups cooked, chopped, boneless, skinless chicken breast meat
- 3 stalks large celery, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onion
- 1 can (11 oz.) Mandarin oranges, drained
- 1/2 head lettuce leaves (optional)
COMBINE sugar, flour and salt in medium, heavy-duty saucepan; gradually stir in evaporated milk, orange juice and egg. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until dressing just comes to a boil and begins to thicken. Remove from heat. Cover; refrigerate until cool.
COMBINE chicken, celery, nuts, dressing and green onion in large bowl. Gently stir in oranges. Cover; refrigerate for 2 hours. Serve over lettuce.
* NOTE: For a lower-fat version of this recipe, substitute NESTLÉ CARNATION Evaporated Fat Free Milk for Evaporated Milk.
Review This Recipe
It's a Winner!
I have made this for my extended family, and it always goes over well. It is already becoming a family tradition!
Read More Reviews