Dessert French Toast with Fresh Berries and Cinnamon Vanilla Sauce transforms a breakfast item into a dessert lover's dream.
- FRENCH TOAST
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 2 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 loaf French bread (baquette)
- CINNAMON VANILLA SAUCE
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 cup NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pint fresh berries (strawberries, blueberries and/or blackberries)
- Powdered sugar, vanilla ice cream or fresh whipped cream (optional)
FOR FRENCH TOAST:
WHISK together eggs, evaporated milk, butter, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla extract and salt in a medium bowl. Slice 8 pieces of bread 1-inch thick on the diagonal to 6-inch lengths. Place bread in a flat-bottomed shallow dish. Pour egg mixture over bread and turn bread to coat evenly. Let soak for 2 minutes. Melt butter in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add 4 slices of the bread and cook on each side until golden, about 2 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining bread.
FOR CINNAMON VANILLA SAUCE:
COMBINE sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon sticks in medium saucepan. Gradually stir in evaporated milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes just to a boil and slightly thickens. Remove from heat and remove cinnamon sticks; stir in vanilla extract.
PLACE 2 slices of French toast on 4 warm plates. Arrange berries on top of each slice; spoon sauce over berries. Garnish with cinnamon, powdered sugar, ice cream or whipped cream, if desired. Serve immediately.
MAPLE SYRUP VARIATION:
HEAT 1 pint fresh berries (strawberries, blueberries and/or blackberries), 1 tablespoon granulated sugar and 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup in small pan over low heat, stirring just until berries soften and let go of their juice. Garnish as above.
Review This Recipe
This french toast was absolutely delicious. The kids really enjoyed having it for dinner.
Read More Reviews