The added pumpkin in this Easy Pumpkin-Pasta Bake recipe provides an excellent source of vitamin A and fiber.
- 1 box (14.5 ounces) whole wheat penne or other short-cut pasta, prepared according to package directions
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 pound (about 4 links) sweet or spicy lean Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 jar (24 to 26 ounces) marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup water or dry red or white wine
- 1 can (15 ounces) LIBBY'S® 100% Pure Pumpkin
- 4 tablespoons (0.75 ounce) shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded low-moisture part-skim mozzarella cheese
PREHEAT oven to 375° F. Spray 3-quart casserole dish or 13 x 9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
COOK sausage in large skillet over medium-high heat until cooked through. Stir in garlic; cook for 1 minute. Stir in marinara sauce (reserve jar). Add water or wine to jar; cover and shake. Pour into skillet along with pumpkin and 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese. Stir well. Stir in prepared pasta. Spoon into prepared dish. Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese and mozzarella cheese; cover.
BAKE for 15 minutes. Carefully remove cover; bake for an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Review This Recipe
As A 2 star chef
I thought I would give this a try.
Thinking I could add something new for the up coming holidays.
I have never tasted something so nasty!
My customers wouldn't even eat it!
No one could be more surprised than I was
This recipe seemed made for me. I made a pumpkin pie, but hadn't a clue as to what would be good for dinner...I took out the remaining pumpkin, and started rounding up ingredients. Having given up meat for lent, I grilled the sausages on our countertop grill for the rest of my family, and prepared the pasta as directed. It was absolutely delicious, and I did not miss the meat. I will make this regularly, now that I know how good it tastes/how good it is for my family. I want to try it with grilled shredded chicken, too.