Eggplant is one of the many vegetables the Moors introduced to Spain. This hearty and enticing dish of eggplant, shrimp, and flavorful serrano ham is from one of the finest restaurants in Murcia, Spain. Serve it as a side dish, appetizer, or light lunch entrée.
- 1 pound eggplant, skinned, cut crosswise in 3/4-inch slices
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour for dusting
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil for frying, divided
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (12 fluid ounces) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 1 teaspoon MAGGI Instant Beef Flavor Bouillon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper or freshly ground black pepper
- 12 frozen, peeled, cooked medium shrimp, thawed
- 1/4 cup Serrano ham strips (dried, cured Spanish ham) or prosciutto
- 1/3 cup shredded Swiss cheese
GREASE 8-inch-square baking pan or broiler-proof dish.
SPRINKLE eggplant slices with salt and dust with flour. Place 3/4 cup oil in large skillet. Heat over medium-high heat. Add garlic cloves; fry garlic until golden. Discard garlic. Fry eggplant slices until golden; do not overcook. Drain thoroughly on paper towels. Arrange eggplant in overlapping lengthwise rows in prepared baking pan. Keep warm.
HEAT remaining 2 tablespoons oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender. Stir in flour. Gradually add evaporated milk, bouillon and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes just to a boil and is smooth and thickened.
TOP eggplant with shrimp and ham. Strain sauce over shrimp and ham. Sprinkle with cheese. Broil for about 4 to 5 minutes or until golden.
Review This Recipe
It seems to be very difficult to find recipes for eggplant. This one combines many ingredients to achieve a fabulous flavour. The shrimp (my favourite seafood) adds flair to the flavour and completes the all round appeal.
Read More Reviews