Ready in less than 1 hour, this delicious Egyptian Shrimp Soup may be used as a starter or lighter main dish. Garnish with finely chopped parsley to create color contrast and eye appeal. Pair with a simple green salad to create a meal.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 6 cups water
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 3 MAGGI Chicken Flavor Bouillon Cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
MELT butter in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add flour, tomato paste and turmeric; stir constantly until it forms a paste. Remove from pan; set aside.
HEAT water, celery, carrot and onion in same saucepan over medium-high heat; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes. Add flour mixture; stir constantly for 5 to 10 minutes or until soup is thickened.
ADD shrimp, tomatoes, bouillon and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 7 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Sprinkle with parsley.