Enchilada-zagna has layers of corn tortillas, creamy cheese sauce, moist chicken and diced green chilies that make this Mexican-inspired dish a delight.
- 2 to 3 cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into small pieces (about 3 cups), divided
- 1 can (28 oz.) or 2 cans (15 oz. each) mild red enchilada sauce
- 1 container (8 oz.) sour cream
- 1 can (12 fl. oz.) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 2 cups (8-oz. pkg.) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can (4 oz.) diced green chilies, undrained
- 1 pkg. (12 tortillas) 7-inch corn tortillas
Directions, Reviews, Nutrition
COMBINE enchilada sauce and sour cream in medium bowl. Combine evaporated milk, cheese and chiles in medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until cheese has melted and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat.
SPREAD 1 cup enchilada sauce mixture on bottom of prepared baking dish. Layer with 4 tortillas, 1 cup enchilada sauce mixture, 1 1/2 cups chicken, 1 cup cheese sauce; repeat layers one more time, starting with tortillas. Top with remaining tortillas, enchilada sauce mixture and cheese sauce. Cover with foil.
BAKE for 40 minutes. Uncover; cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.
• Different brands of enchilada sauce may have different heat levels. A hotter enchilada sauce can be used if a spicier dish is desired.
• Sliced black olives may be added to the layers.
What did you think? Share Your Review »
Thank you for reviewing this recipe.
THIS IS DELICIOUS AND I LOVE IT WHEN MY MOM OR SIS MAKE IT. AWESOMELY GOOD FOOD AND I AM PICKY ABOUT MY FOOD
Cant Get Enough
Ive been making this for years grandkids eat the whole pan.
My 4 kids LOVE this dish and there is plenty for seconds!! It is super easy and cheap for all the ingredients. Definitely a family fav!
the enchilada looks so good i cant wait to try it .... once mom makes it!
We love this dish in our house! It is delicious, but we do add some extras. I like to add corn, black beans and some diced jalapenos to the cheese mixture. It adds some texture and taste to the casserole. Very good.
Serving Size: 1/10 of Recipe
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 350
- Calories from Fat: 160
- Total Fat: 18g (28% of DV)
- Saturated Fat: 10g (50% of DV)
- Cholesterol: 80mg (27% of DV)
- Sodium: 560mg (23% of DV)
- Carbohydrates: 23g (8% of DV)
- Dietary Fiber: 2g (8% of DV)
- Sugars: 5g
- Protein: 23g
- Vitamin A: 15% of DV
- Vitamin C: 6% of DV
- Calcium: 35% of DV
- Iron: 6% of DV
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.