Tender fish fillets seasoned with herbs are topped with sautéed onions and baked in a light, velvety creamy milk sauce in this classic dish from Colombia's Pacific coast. Thyme, basil and anise give the sauce excellent flavor and will be a recipe you'll want to try again and again.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 small onion, sliced into thick rings
- 1 lb. white fish of choice, cut into 2-inch pieces
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon anise seeds, crushed
- 2/3 cup (5 fl.-oz. can) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 1/4 cup water
PREHEAT oven to 325° F. Grease 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
HEAT 1 tablespoon olive oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook, stirring frequently, until tender and golden brown. Remove from skillet; set aside.
SEASON fish with salt and pepper. Add remaining oil to same skillet and cook fish until browned on both sides. Remove from heat. Place fish in prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with thyme, basil and anise. Top with reserved onion rings. Combine milk and water in small glass measure; pour over fish. If desired, season with additional salt and pepper.
BAKE for 20 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
Review This Recipe
FISH BAKED IN CREAMY SILK SAUCE WITH ONIONS & HERB
MOIST AND SUCCULENT. HUSBAND AND I REALLY ENJOYED THIS RECIPE. WILL PREPARE FOR OUR NEXT BIG DINNER WITH FRIENDS.
Read More Reviews