Forbidden rice, also called black grain rice , is a special variety of rice which turns to a deep purple when it is cooked. It was once cultivated for the sole use of the emperors of China, and is classified as sweet and neutral. The combination of celery to help clear fluid retention, as well as vitamin-rich carrots and orange juice, is believed to help combat colds.
Compliments of chef Ying Chang Compestine.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 cup diced fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch cubes (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons MAGGI TASTE OF ASIA Cooking Soy Sauce
- 3 cups cooked Forbidden Rice
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons MAGGI TASTE OF ASIA Sweet Chili Sauce
- 2 teaspoons MAGGI Seasoning Sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
PREHEAT oven to 325° F (165° C).
HEAT oil in large wok or skillet over medium-high heat. Add ginger; cook, stirring constantly, for about 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 minute. Add carrots, onion, celery and soy sauce. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 1 minute or until vegetables are tender.
STIR in rice, orange juice, cranberries and sweet chili sauce. Toss to mix well. Season to taste with seasoning sauce. Pour rice mixture into 13 x 9-inch baking dish; cover with foil.
BAKE for 30 minutes or until heated through and liquid is evaporated. Garnish with dill and pine nuts before serving.
Review This Recipe
I LIKED THIS RECIPE. MY HUSBAND DID ALSO. I LIKE VEGETARIAN DISHES. THE PREP TIME TOOK A LOT LONGER THAN IT SAYS . IT TOOK ME ABOUT 1-2 HOURS TO MAKE THIS. I ADDED ALMONDS INSTEAD OF PINE NUTS AND SPRINKLED SOME CHOPPED CARROTS AND CELERY ON TOP FOR MORE COLOR. ONE NOTE THE FORBIDDEN RICE STAINED MY WHITE ENAMEL POT BLACK SO BE AWARE