Surprise your family at the next holiday event with this Fresh Green Bean Casserole. This traditional dish is revived using fresh ingredients and a little extra time to create a special dish everyone will enjoy. No more canned green bean flavor or unnecessary sodium, let the fresh vegetables showcase their true flavors.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 pounds fresh green beans, ends trimmed (halved, if desired)
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 package (12 ounces) sliced button mushrooms (about 4 cups)
- 3 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 can (12 fluid ounces) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 1 teaspoon MAGGI Instant Chicken Flavor Bouillon
- 1 container (2.8 ounces) French fried onions
PREHEAT oven to 425° F. Spray 13 x 9-inch or 3-quart casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. Fill large bowl half full with ice cubes; fill with cold water.
BRING 4 quarts of water to a boil in large saucepan; add green beans and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and immediately drop into ice-cold water to stop the cooking. Once cool, drain again.
MELT butter in same saucepan; add mushrooms and garlic. Season with pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Stir in flour; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute. Stir in water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; add evaporated milk and bouillon. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Add green beans; stir to coat. Transfer to prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle evenly with French fried onions.
BAKE for 15 minutes or until onions are golden brown and sauce is bubbling around edges. Serve immediately.
Review This Recipe
very interesting; looks delicious and is something Id like to try for a change from the usual green bean casserole.