Fukien Red-Cooked Chicken
This Fukien Red-Cooked Chicken recipe gets its inspiration from a traditional Chinese preparation. You'll enjoy the flavors in this dish. "Red cooking" is popular throughout most of northern, eastern, and southeastern China. The name is derived from the dark red-brown color that comes from the braising. Serve with hot cooked rice and sprinkle with additional chopped green onions, if desired.
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 bottle (6.7 fl. oz.) MAGGI Seasoning Sauce
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 4 quarter-sized slices fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, halved
- 2 whole star anise or 1/2 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 large (about 3 lb.) roasting chicken, cut into pieces
- Hot cooked white rice
Directions, Reviews, Nutrition
ADD chicken; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover. Cook, turning pieces occasionally, for 30 to 40 minutes or until chicken is tender and cooked through. Remove chicken from sauce and cover to keep warm; set aside.*
BOIL sauce for 15 to 20 minutes or until reduced by half, skimming off fat. Strain and serve as dipping sauce with chicken and white rice. Sprinkle with additional chopped green onions, if desired.
*For more intense flavor, remove pan from heat, cover and leave chicken in sauce for 30 minutes. Remove chicken and proceed with boiling the sauce.
What did you think? Share Your Review »
Thank you for reviewing this recipe.
Very Bland. Have no idea where the red comes in. Basically just boiled chicken in sweet soy sauce. Don't waste the time and money.
Serving Size: 1/6 of Recipe
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 350
- Calories from Fat: 140
- Total Fat: 16g (25% of DV)
- Saturated Fat: 4.5g (22% of DV)
- Cholesterol: 75mg (25% of DV)
- Sodium: 2320mg (97% of DV)
- Carbohydrates: 28g (9% of DV)
- Dietary Fiber: 1g (2% of DV)
- Sugars: 4g
- Protein: 21g
- Vitamin A: 4% of DV
- Vitamin C: 4% of DV
- Calcium: 2% of DV
- Iron: 10% of DV
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.