This tasty Grandma's Tinga recipe has its roots in Mexico. Tinga is the Spanish word for "stew." This quick-to-make stew made with shrimp, onions and tomatoes gets an extra flavor boost from chocolate and a chipotle chile. Great for all occasions and works well as a buffet item, too. Sprinkle with cheese. Serve hot with toasted bread.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium thinly sliced onions (about 2 cups total)
- 1 tablet (90 g) NESTLÉ ABUELITA Chocolate, broken into pieces
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons MAGGI Granulated Chicken Flavor Bouillon
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, finely chopped
- 1 1/4 lbs. medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup (2 oz.) shredded Panela cheese
- 8 slices BIMBO Double Fiber Bread, lightly toasted
HEAT oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions; cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 minutes or until soft. Add chocolate, tomato puree, water, bouillon and chile; bring mixture to a boil. Cook for 2 minutes or until chocolate is melted. Add shrimp; cook for 3 minutes or until shrimp are cooked through.
SPRINKLE with cheese. Serve hot with toasted bread.