Hearty Beef Stew for Four
Hearty Beef Stew will warm chilled bones on a blustery winter day. Serve up steaming bowls of this simple and satisfying hearty meal. See more beef stew recipes here.
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pound beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, thickly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) recipe-ready diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 2 small carrots, peeled and thickly sliced
- 2 MAGGI Beef Flavor Bouillon Cubes
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves or 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 large potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
Directions, Reviews, Nutrition
COOK, stirring occasionally, for 25 minutes. Add potato; cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, for an additional 25 to 30 minutes or until beef is tender.
CROCKERY COOKER METHOD:
COOK beef, onion, celery and garlic as above. Spoon beef mixture into crockery cooker; cover with potato, tomatoes and juice, water, carrots, bouillon and thyme. Cover; cook on high heat for 5 to 6 hours or on low heat for 10 to 12 hours or until beef is tender.
What did you think? Share Your Review »
Thank you for reviewing this recipe.
Love this recipe!
This is the best beef stew recipe. It is so simple to make and my family loves it.
Add worcestershire sauce
just a bit....... you can gtrate potatoes and add them early if you prefer not to have any wheat (white flour) in the mix...
Perfect stew everytime!
I've made this recipe several times and it always comes out great. I add a little more potatoes and thicken it with a little flour at the end. Even my "no tomatoes, no "comfort food" husband loves it!
Granted this was my first attempt at stew but it turned out SO GOOD. Not too fancy, just your basic meat and potatoes and veggie stew. Very customizable with more vegetables and spices, but it stands on its own. The two of us ate almost the whole pot. Perfect with fresh-baked rolls or biscuits and a green salad.
The recipe was easy to make. I changed it a little bit. I added Italian seasoning and used the water that dried porcini mushrooms were in instead of plain water. I added the porcini mushrooms in the last 15 minutes of cooking. The taste was great.
Serving Size: 1/4 of Recipe
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 400
- Calories from Fat: 160
- Total Fat: 18g (27% of DV)
- Saturated Fat: 5g (26% of DV)
- Cholesterol: 80mg (27% of DV)
- Sodium: 930mg (39% of DV)
- Carbohydrates: 33g (11% of DV)
- Dietary Fiber: 6g (22% of DV)
- Sugars: 12g
- Protein: 29g
- Vitamin A: 170% of DV
- Vitamin C: 35% of DV
- Calcium: 6% of DV
- Iron: 30% of DV
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.