Honan Sweet & Sour Pork
Honan Sweet & Sour Pork is a simple yet authentic and tasty recipe that is perfect to make at home for a special family treat or for entertaining.
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons MAGGI Seasoning Sauce
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 lb. pork butt, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 cup fresh pineapple, cut into 1-inch cubes*
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded, cored and chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded, cored and chopped
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrot
- Hot cooked white rice
Directions, Reviews, Nutrition
COMBINE flour, cornstarch, salt and black pepper in medium bowl. Add pork; stir until coated.
HEAT 2 tablespoons oil in wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Stir-fry pork in batches until golden brown. Remove pork; drain on paper towels. Clean out wok or skillet.
HEAT remaining 1 tablespoon oil in wok or large skillet. Add pork, pineapple, bell peppers, carrot and ketchup mixture. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and cook for 25 to 30 minutes or until pork is tender and sauce is thick. Serve over rice.
* May substitute 1 cup well-drained, canned pineapple chunks for the fresh pineapple.
What did you think? Share Your Review »
Thank you for reviewing this recipe.
Best I've Ever Had
I've tried to make other sweet & sour dishes before using other recipes and I haven't liked them. When my husband suggested this I was sceptical, but it turned out to be better than any sweet & sour dish I've ever had--even in restaurants. We eliminated the pineapple but it didn't take away from the taste.
Serving Size: 1/4 of Recipe
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 690
- Calories from Fat: 260
- Total Fat: 29g (45% of DV)
- Saturated Fat: 7g (37% of DV)
- Cholesterol: 75mg (25% of DV)
- Sodium: 1570mg (65% of DV)
- Carbohydrates: 83g (28% of DV)
- Dietary Fiber: 3g (12% of DV)
- Sugars: 43g
- Protein: 26g
- Vitamin A: 60% of DV
- Vitamin C: 130% of DV
- Calcium: 4% of DV
- Iron: 15% of DV
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.