Honan Sweet & Sour Pork is a simple yet authentic and tasty recipe that is perfect to make at home for a special family treat or for entertaining.
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons MAGGI Seasoning Sauce
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 lb. pork butt, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 cup fresh pineapple, cut into 1-inch cubes*
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded, cored and chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded, cored and chopped
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrot
- Hot cooked white rice
COMBINE ketchup, sugar, vinegar and seasoning sauce in small bowl; set aside.
COMBINE flour, cornstarch, salt and black pepper in medium bowl. Add pork; stir until coated.
HEAT 2 tablespoons oil in wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Stir-fry pork in batches until golden brown. Remove pork; drain on paper towels. Clean out wok or skillet.
HEAT remaining 1 tablespoon oil in wok or large skillet. Add pork, pineapple, bell peppers, carrot and ketchup mixture. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and cook for 25 to 30 minutes or until pork is tender and sauce is thick. Serve over rice.
* May substitute 1 cup well-drained, canned pineapple chunks for the fresh pineapple.
Review This Recipe
Best I've Ever Had
I've tried to make other sweet & sour dishes before using other recipes and I haven't liked them. When my husband suggested this I was sceptical, but it turned out to be better than any sweet & sour dish I've ever had--even in restaurants. We eliminated the pineapple but it didn't take away from the taste.