Honduran Yucca Cake with Sweet Milk Sauce
Honduran Yucca Cake with Sweet Milk Sauce is similar to a crustless pumpkin pie, and this dense, sweet yucca dessert has a lovely texture and spiced mocha flavor. Yucca—also known as cassava—is a staple crop throughout Honduras and grows everywhere, even in the poorest soils. Use a hand grater rather than a food processor to grate the yucca for best results. For a finishing touch, pour sweetened condensed milk over the baked cake before serving.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 lbs. yucca, peeled and grated (about 4 cups) *
- 4 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 can (13.5 oz.) coconut milk
- 2/3 cup (5 fl.-oz. can) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 1/2 cup prepared double strength NESCAFÉ CLÁSICO Pure Instant Coffee, cooled
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 can (14 oz.) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Sweetened Condensed Milk
Directions, Reviews, Nutrition
COMBINE sugar, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and salt in small bowl. Combine yucca, eggs, coconut milk, evaporated milk, coffee, butter and vanilla extract in large bowl until well blended. Add sugar mixture; stir until well blended. Pour batter into prepared baking dish.
BAKE for 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick entered in center comes out clean. Cool completely in dish on wire rack.
TO SERVE, pour sweetened condensed milk over entire cake to glaze or top each piece with desired amount of condensed milk.
* NOTE: Frozen yucca masa typicially found in Latin markets can be substituted for the fresh yucca. Once thawed, measure out 4-cup amount and then drain prior to adding to recipe.
What did you think? Share Your Review »
Thank you for reviewing this recipe.
I was so looking forward to trying this recipe. What a bitter disappointment! The cake's texture was firm, chewy and gummy. There was also a bitter aftertaste. The best thing about this cake was the condensed milk. I was sorry I wasted an entire can on this recipe.
Serving Size: 1/15 of Recipe
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 320
- Calories from Fat: 100
- Total Fat: 11g (17% of DV)
- Saturated Fat: 8g (40% of DV)
- Cholesterol: 70mg (23% of DV)
- Sodium: 110mg (5% of DV)
- Carbohydrates: 51g (17% of DV)
- Dietary Fiber: 1g (4% of DV)
- Sugars: 30g
- Protein: 5g
- Vitamin A: 4% of DV
- Vitamin C: 15% of DV
- Calcium: 10% of DV
- Iron: 6% of DV
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.