Traditionally served with fried fish, this classic Puerto Rican tomato sauce is delicious served alongside a variety of seafood dishes, including Crab Meat Piononos. Keep olives, capers, and pimentos on hand in your pantry so you can prepare this easy sauce often.
- 1 cup (8-oz. can) tomato sauce
- 1 medium onion, cut in thin slices
- 1/4 cup canned or jarred pimento, cut in thin strips
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sliced pimento-stuffed green olives
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons capers
- 1 bay leaf
- Ground black pepper or red pepper flakes to taste
COMBINE all ingredients in medium saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until onions are tender. Remove bay leaf. Season to taste with pepper.
SERVE with Crab Meat Piononos, fish or shellfish. Store tightly covered in the refrigerator.
Review This Recipe
I am going to make this recipe and serve it as a dip for vegetables with bread and cracker rounds! It sounds absolutely Scrumptious. Now I must add it to my recipe box.
Delicious! Very easy to make. Great for parties, or any time! Just add bread or chips.
Different taste - will make again
This was a totally different recipe for me. Don't
usually use green olives. Easy to prepare. Very
tasty. Served with oven baked fish.