Italian Pumpkin Strata
Italian Pumpkin Strata is a dense, creamy vegetable-filled strata, or layered casserole that employs bread, cheese, milk, pumpkin and eggs to create a moist and delicious casserole you can cut into squares or wedges.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 12 cups (about 1 pound loaf) 1 1/2-inch cubes Italian or French bread
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 cans (12 fluid ounces each) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 1 can (15 ounces) LIBBY'S® 100% Pure Pumpkin
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram, crushed
Directions, Reviews, Nutrition
PREHEAT oven to 350° F. Grease 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
HEAT oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage, onion, bell peppers and garlic. Cook, stirring to break up sausage, for 7 to 10 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink; drain.
COMBINE bread cubes, cheese and sausage mixture in a large bowl. Beat evaporated milk, pumpkin, eggs, salt, pepper, oregano, basil and marjoram in medium bowl. Pour over bread mixture, stirring gently to moisten bread. Pour into prepared baking pan.
BAKE for 30 to 35 minutes or until set. Serve warm.
What did you think? Share Your Review »
Thank you for reviewing this recipe.
Amazing and So Easy
This is incredibly delicious. I cut the recipe in half and baked it in an 8x8 pan and it came out great. I like the use of red and green bell pepper - would make it a festive dish at a holiday party. Will definitely make this again!
This sounds like a wonderful casserole, but it didn't have as much flavor as expected. I think I was expecting it to be sweeter because of the pumpkin. It was also a little "spongy". Next time I'll add a little brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg to the pumpkin mixture, and leave out some of the bread cubes. It was good enough to make me want to try again with some adjustments.
My kids loved this recipe! I served the Italian Pumpkin Strata for dinner with roasted asparagus. Everyone asked for seconds!
My family enjoyed the flavor of this recipe, and it smelled wonderful cooking. We served it with a tossed salad. Some family members wanted more spice so a created a little bowl of mixed spices from the recipe and put it on the table so they could add a pinch if they wanted.
mix it up
i loved it because it's new and different and taste excellent. when you can find a great recipe like this it's a steal.
Serving Size: 1/12 of Recipe
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 366
- Calories from Fat: 163
- Total Fat: 18.1g (28% of DV)
- Saturated Fat: 7.9g (39% of DV)
- Cholesterol: 119mg (40% of DV)
- Sodium: 826mg (33% of DV)
- Carbohydrates: 30.4g (10% of DV)
- Dietary Fiber: 2.9g (12% of DV)
- Sugars: 1.1g
- Protein: 19.9g
- Vitamin A: 14% of DV
- Vitamin C: 19% of DV
- Calcium: 41% of DV
- Iron: 23% of DV
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.