This zesty Italian twist on a childhood classic is sure to tickle your family’s taste buds. Tomatoes and basil add bursts of color and flavor to this rich and creamy Mac & Cheese with Chicken Sausage, making this dish irresistible.
- 2 cups (8 oz.) dry elbow macaroni (regular or whole wheat)
- 1 can (12 fl. oz.) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Lowfat 2% Milk
- 2 cups (8-oz. pkg.) shredded Italian-style 4- or 5-cheese blend
- 2 links (6 oz.) fully-cooked Italian-seasoned chicken sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 tablespoons finely sliced fresh basil leaves
PREPARE pasta according to package directions; drain.
MEANWHILE, COMBINE evaporated milk, cheese, sausage, garlic powder and
black pepper in medium saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally,
until cheese is melted. Remove from heat.
ADD pasta to cheese sauce; stir until combined. Add tomatoes and basil; stir gently until mixed in.
TIP: Different flavors of chicken sausage can be substituted.
Review This Recipe
What, no pumpkin?
Just kidding. My daughter makes this recipe all the time, and everyone loves it. I usually leave out the tomatoes, as my husband doesn't care for them. Good stuff, although I wonder whether just a few spoonsful of pumpkin might give it an extra-rich flavor and color.
Read More Reviews