This Lentil Soup is packed full of nutrition with high levels of vitamin A and iron - and flavor. Lentils, kale or spinach and brown rice combine to make this a hearty vegetarian main dish or soup starter.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 7 cups water
- 1 cup dried brown lentils
- 4 MAGGI Vegetable Flavor Bouillon Cubes
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach or kale
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking brown rice
HEAT oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 7 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
ADD water, lentils, bouillon and vinegar; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cover. Cook for 18 to 20 minutes or until lentils are tender.
STIR in spinach and rice; cover. Return to boil. Reduce heat to low; uncover. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 to 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
Review This Recipe
Loved this recipe! So easy and nutritious! The red bell pepper and green spinach make the soup look as good as it tastes. I used chicken stock instead of the bouillon and omitted the rice. I also added some crushed red pepper to give it a kick. My friends loved it.
Read More Reviews