Lighter Chicken Pot Pie
Say hello to an updated culinary classic! A buttermilk biscuit crust, shredded rotisserie chicken and a savory vegetable filling made with evaporated lowfat milk make for a heart-warming and guilt-free dinner.
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 3 celery ribs, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- Fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup dry white wine or sherry (optional)
- 3 cups water
- 2 teaspoons MAGGI Instant Chicken Flavor Bouillon
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 can (12 fluid ounces) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Lowfat 2% Milk
- One 3 1/2- to 4-pound rotisserie chicken, skin removed and meat shredded (about 4 cups)
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
Directions, Reviews, Nutrition
COMBINE carrots, celery, onion, garlic, thyme, oil and ½ teaspoon salt in a large Dutch oven or saucepan. Cover; cook over medium-low heat, stirring often, for 6 to 8 minutes or until vegetables have softened.
STIR in wine; cook for 1 minute or until almost evaporated. Stir in water and bouillon; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low.
WHISK cornstarch and evaporated milk together; stir into sauce. Cook for about 1 minute or until sauce thickens slightly. Remove from heat; stir in chicken, peas and parsley. Season with salt and ground black pepper to taste.
DIVIDE mixture between eight 8-ounce ramekins or spoon into 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
WHISK flour, baking powder, sugar, baking soda and salt together in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk buttermilk and melted butter together. Gently stir buttermilk mixture into flour mixture with a rubber spatula until just combined and no pockets of flour remain.
DROP dough into equal mounds over ramekins, spreading out slightly. Place ramekins on baking sheet. If using 13 x 9-inch baking dish, drop dough into 8 mounds a few inches apart over hot filling.
BAKE for 20 to 25 minutes or until the biscuits are golden and the filling is bubbly. Cool for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
What did you think? Share Your Review »
Thank you for reviewing this recipe.
Love the lighter filling!
I was looking for a lighter filling for pot pie, and boy was this delicious. My husband is a pro at pie crust, so we didn't try the buttermilk biscuits on top. We did have to boil the mixture in the pan for a few more minutes than noted to get it thicker, when we added the evap milk initially it was more like soup. We certainly didn't miss the fat from the cream. Thanks for the great recipe!
Serving Size: 1/8 of Recipe
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 370
- Calories from Fat: 110
- Total Fat: 12g (19% of DV)
- Saturated Fat: 6g (29% of DV)
- Cholesterol: 85mg (28% of DV)
- Sodium: 880mg (37% of DV)
- Carbohydrates: 36g (12% of DV)
- Dietary Fiber: 3g (12% of DV)
- Sugars: 9g
- Protein: 28g
- Vitamin A: 90% of DV
- Vitamin C: 15% of DV
- Calcium: 25% of DV
- Iron: 15% of DV
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.