This hearty rustic Beef Stew is a delicious combination of beef, vegetables and herbs that make for a perfect main course. See more beef stew recipes here.
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 1 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces (about 4 cups)
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes with puree, undrained
- 3 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 2 MAGGI Beef Flavor Bouillon Cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
COMBINE flour, salt and pepper in medium bowl. Add meat; toss to coat well.
HEAT oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add meat, onion, celery and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, for 6 to 8 minutes or until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender.
ADD potatoes, tomatoes and juice, carrots, water, bouillon and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 45 to 60 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Review This Recipe
As a newbie to the cooking world I really enjoyed this recipe. It was easy to follow and the end result was better than expected. A must on a cold day, or the day after that, or the day after that...
I made this Sunday and thought is was pretty good, but my husband was not crazy about it. Once I make him eat the left overs for the next two nights, I guess that will be it for this one!!!!