This savory breakfast sausage casserole is easy to make ahead of time, so you can enjoy your morning. It also features evaporated milk and egg substitute to help cut calories. And it really satisfies!
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 7 cups ciabatta bread cubes (1-inch cubes)
- 1 pound lean Italian turkey sausage (such as Jenny-O)
- 1 bell pepper, any color, chopped
- 1 can (12 fluid ounces) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Lowfat 2% Milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 1 1/4 cups (5 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 bunch sliced green onions (about 3/4 cup)
- Salsa (optional)
PREHEAT oven to 400° F. Spray 2-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Place bread cubes in a single layer on baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden.
HEAT large skillet over medium-high heat; add sausage and bell pepper. Cook, stirring to crumble sausage, for 6 minutes or until sausage is cooked.
COMBINE evaporated milk, eggs and egg substitute in large bowl; whisk to combine. Stir in 1 cup cheese, sausage and green onions. Add bread cubes; toss to coat. Spoon mixture into prepared baking dish. Cover tightly and refrigerate overnight.
PREHEAT oven to 350° F. Remove cover from casserole dish.
BAKE for 45 to 50 minutes or until lightly browned and set. Sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup cheese right when it comes out of the oven. Serve with salsa and additional sliced green onions, if desired.