Whether you’re baking for a group of kids or an upscale party, cupcakes are a universal favorite. These sweet and savory cupcakes were made specifically for bacon lovers with a sweet tooth.
Read more about how this cupcake was created for a special birthday on the Nestlé Kitchens blog.
- 3 strips center-cut bacon
- 3/4 cup plus 1/2 teaspoon packed light brown sugar, divided
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, lightly browned (Melt butter in skillet over medium heat; cook until butter begins to brown.)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup lowfat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 container (16 ounces) white prepared frosting
PREHEAT oven to 375° F. Arrange strips of bacon on a rack set in a rimmed baking sheet (line baking sheet with foil for easy clean up).
BAKE, rotating pan halfway through cooking, for about 15 minutes or until bacon is almost crisp. Remove 2 strips of bacon and place on paper towel to cool. Sprinkle remaining piece of bacon evenly with ½ teaspoon brown sugar. Bake for 3 minutes or until sugar melts. Set aside to use as garnish.
REDUCE oven temperature to 350° F. Line 12-cup muffin tin with paper or foil liners.
COMBINE flour, baking powder and salt in large bowl; mix well.
WHISK together browned butter, remaining ¾ cup sugar, eggs, buttermilk, ¼ cup maple syrup and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl. Gradually stir in flour mixture. Crumble the 2 strips of bacon and fold into batter. Spoon into prepared cups, filling 2/3 full.
BAKE for 20 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in cupcake comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
STIR remaining 2 tablespoons maple syrup into prepared frosting. Pipe onto cupcakes. Crumble remaining sugar-coated strip of bacon; sprinkle over cupcakes.