This flavorful twist on traditional roasted sweet potatoes was a Nestlé Kitchens Side Dish Contest finalist. Joanna L. McCarthy created this recipe using Coffee-mate Maple Brown Sugar to bring out the naturally sweet and nutty flavor of the sweet potatoes.
Learn more about this recipe and other recipe contest winners at the Nestlé Kitchens blog.
- SWEET POTATOES
- 8 large (about 6 pounds) sweet potatoes, washed (peeled, if desired)
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup Brown Sugar Maple Latte Flavor NESTLÉ COFFEE-MATE Liquid Coffee Creamer
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- SUGAR & SPICE PECANS (optional)
- 1 large egg white, beaten
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 to 2 tablespoons paprika
FOR SWEET POTATOES:
PREHEAT oven to 400° F. Cut sweet potatoes into even 1-inch slices. Place in large roasting pan along with onion, oil, salt and pepper. Toss gently to coat. Roast for 30 to 40 minutes or until fork tender.
TRANSFER sweet potato-onion mixture to a large mixer bowl. Add Coffee-mate, melted butter and cinnamon; beat with stand or hand mixer until smooth.
FOR SUGAR & SPICE PECANS:
REDUCE oven temperature to 350° F. Grease a rimmed baking sheet or line with parchment paper.
COMBINE egg white with pecans in medium bowl. Stir in sugar, cumin and paprika; toss to coat. Place on prepared baking sheet. Bake, stirring halfway through, for 15 to 20 minutes; cool. Sprinkle over top of sweet potatoes.