Make it a fiesta with this party-perfect margarita pie. Flavored with fresh limes and oranges (and an added kick of optional tequila), this refreshingly sweet filling is complemented by a salty pretzel crust.
- 1 cup crushed mini pretzels
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 1 envelope (7 grams) unflavored gelatin
- 1 can (12 fl. oz.) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated lime peel
- 1/2 cup (4 to 5 medium limes) lime juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 2 tablespoons orange juice or orange-flavored liqueur
- 1 tablespoon tequila (optional)
- 2 cups frozen whipped topping, thawed, divided
- Coarse sanding sugar, fresh limes slices
Directions, Reviews, Nutrition
PREHEAT oven to 375° F. Combine pretzel crumbs, butter and sugar in 9-inch deep-dish (4-cup volume) pie plate. Press crumb mixture onto bottom and upsides of pie plate.
BAKE for 5 to 7 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely on wire rack.
PLACE gelatin in small bowl; stir in water. Let stand for 1 minute. Heat evaporated milk, sugar and softened gelatin in small saucepan over medium heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved and mixture is hot (do not boil). Pour into medium bowl. Refrigerate uncovered for 30 minutes until cool to touch. Add lime peel, lime juice, orange peel, orange juice and tequila; mix well. Gently whisk in 1 cup whipped topping. Pour into prepared pie crust.
REFRIGERATE for 2 hours or until set. Pipe remaining 1 cup whipped topping around edge of pie. Sprinkle whipped topping border with coarse sugar. Garnish with lime slices.
• 3 cups (4 oz.) mini pretzels will be needed to get 1 cup crushed.
• To save time, you may substitute a store-bought 10-inch (9 oz.) graham cracker crumb crust for pretzel pie shell.
• If you do not own a pastry bag, a resealable heavy-duty plastic bag can be used. Cut corner of bag and pipe out whipped topping as desired.
What did you think? Share Your Review »
Thank you for reviewing this recipe.
This is delicious and refreshing for a spring or summer dessert. I have never used unflavored gelatin before but it worked beautifully. It really does taste like a margarita. The pretzel crust added just the right amount of salt.
Serving Size: 1/8 of Recipe
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 350
- Calories from Fat: 140
- Total Fat: 15g (23% of DV)
- Saturated Fat: 11g (55% of DV)
- Cholesterol: 40mg (13% of DV)
- Sodium: 400mg (17% of DV)
- Carbohydrates: 49g (16% of DV)
- Dietary Fiber: 1g (4% of DV)
- Sugars: 34g
- Protein: 5g
- Vitamin A: 6% of DV
- Vitamin C: 15% of DV
- Calcium: 15% of DV
- Iron: 6% of DV
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.