Mediterranean Bean Salad has a fantastic combination of several types of beans, carrots, celery, sun-dried tomatoes, scallions and black olives. You'll love the pesto-inspired dressing. Garnish with toasted pine nuts for an absolutely fabulous salad.
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dices (about 1 cup)
- 1 large celery stalk, thinly sliced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup diced rehydrated sun-dried tomatoes (not oil packed)
- 2 large scallions, thinly sliced (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup pitted and sliced black olives
- 3 tablespoons BUITONI Refrigerated All Natural Reduced Fat Pesto with Basil or All Natural Pesto with Basil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons toasted pine nuts*
COMBINE the beans, carrots, celery, sun dried tomatoes, scallions and black olives in a large salad bowl. Set aside.
WHISK together the pesto, vinegar and garlic in a small bowl. Slowly in a thin stream, whisk in the olive oil, whisking constantly until combined. Season with salt and pepper.
POUR the dressing over the bean salad and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes prior to serving. Just before serving, add in the fresh basil, gently toss the salad. Garnish the salad with the toasted pine nuts.
* To toast pine nuts: Add the nuts to a dry skillet and toast over medium heat until lightly browned, shaking the pan occasionally. Watch carefully to prevent burning.