Served on bolillos or French rolls, these Mexican Albondigas Burgers are similar to a meatball sandwich. With the flavors of cilantro and poblano chiles, they make a delicious choice for summertime grilling.
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound lean ground pork or pork sausage
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup finely diced, roasted and peeled poblano chiles
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onion
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon MAGGI Granulated Chicken or Beef Flavor Bouillon
- 1/2 teaspoon NESCAFÉ CLÁSICO Pure Instant Coffee Granules
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 8 small thin slices of queso fresco cheese
- 4 bolillos or French rolls
- Light mayonnaise, lettuce, sliced tomatoes, sliced avocado (optional)
MIX ground beef, ground pork, cilantro, poblano chiles, green onion, garlic, egg, bouillon, coffee granules, black pepper and crushed red pepper in a large bowl using both hands until all ingredients are completely combined.
DIVIDE meat mixture into 8 equal pieces (each piece should be 2 ounces). Roll each piece into a ball. Flatten each ball with your thumb to form a dent in the center.
GRILL meatballs on all sides, turning every 5 minutes, for 15 to 20 minutes or until fully cooked. About 2 minutes before finished grilling, top each meatball with a slice of cheese.
SLICE bolillos down the center and spread each side with a little mayonnaise. Fill with two meatballs each. Top with lettuce, tomato and avocado, if desired.
Cook’s Tip: Roasting the poblano chile the day before is a great time saver.