Mexican Spoon Bread is a creamy cornbread-like side dish enriched with evaporated milk and flavored with vegetable bouillon. Black beans, cheddar cheese and jalapeños make this fancy enough to serve on special occasions.
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup ALBERS® Yellow Corn Meal
- 3 MAGGI Vegetarian Vegetable Flavor Bouillon Cubes
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons diced jalapeños
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
PREHEAT oven to 400° F. Grease 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
COOK water, corn meal and bouillon in large saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until mixture comes to a boil and bouillon is dissolved. Boil, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
ADD beans, cheese, evaporated milk, eggs, jalapeños and butter; stir until blended. Pour into prepared dish.
BAKE for 25 to 30 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Top with salsa, sour cream, sliced ripe olives and chopped cilantro before serving, if desired.
Review This Recipe
JUST LIKE MOM'S
I WAS LOOKING FOR SOMETHING DIFFERENT. MY HUSBAND IS MEXICAN. AND I ASKED HIM IF HE HAD EVER HEARD OF THIS HE SAID NO...I TRIED IT ANYWAY AND HE LOVED IT. HE REMEMERED HIS MOM MAKING THIS AND ADDING MEAT TO IT. HE ATE ALMOST HALF BY HIMSELF! THANKS TO WHOEVER DONATED THIS RECIPE.
Read More Reviews