Mixed Berry Shortcakes
This festive combination of fresh seasonal berries, tender shortcake and a scoop of light vanilla ice cream is perfect for summer and July 4th celebrations. The patriotic flavor in this dish is more than enough to rival the fireworks lighting up the sky.
- 2 pounds fresh strawberries, sliced (about 6 cups total)
- 2 containers (6 ounces each) fresh blueberries (about 2 1/2 cups total)
- 7 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2/3 cup lowfat milk
- 1/4 cup lowfat Greek yogurt or sour cream
- Sparkling sugar (optional)
- 3 cups Vanilla DREYER'S or EDY'S SLOW CHURNED Light Ice Cream
Directions, Reviews, Nutrition
COMBINE strawberries, blueberries and 3 tablespoons granulated sugar in large bowl; stir gently. Let stand, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
PREHEAT oven to 425° F. Spray baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
WHISK flour, remaining 4 tablespoons granulated sugar, baking powder and salt in large bowl; cut in butter with pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add milk and yogurt; stir just until a moist dough forms. Turn the dough onto a floured work surface. With floured hands, knead 6 to 8 times until the dough is smooth. With rolling pin, roll dough into a 9 x 6-inch rectangle or until about ½-inch thick. Cut into six 2 ½-inch circles. Transfer to prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle with sparkling sugar.
BAKE for 10 to 12 minutes or just until golden. Transfer biscuits to individual plates; split open. Top each with about 1 cup berry mixture and ½ cup vanilla ice cream.
Cook's Tip: If you have a little remaining dough, pat back into a ball, flatten slightly and cut into circles.
What did you think? Share Your Review »
Be the first to review this recipe!
Thank you for reviewing this recipe.
Serving Size: 1/6 of Recipe
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 500
- Calories from Fat: 120
- Total Fat: 14g (21% of DV)
- Saturated Fat: 8g (40% of DV)
- Cholesterol: 45mg (15% of DV)
- Sodium: 540mg (22% of DV)
- Carbohydrates: 86g (29% of DV)
- Dietary Fiber: 6g (24% of DV)
- Sugars: 41g
- Protein: 11g
- Vitamin A: 15% of DV
- Vitamin C: 170% of DV
- Calcium: 20% of DV
- Iron: 15% of DV
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.