- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup red or ivory quinoa, pulsed in blender until close to flour consistency
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound sliced mushrooms (mixture of oyster, white button and/or baby brown bella cremini)
- 2 medium shallots, finely chopped (1/2 to 3/4 cup total)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cans (12 fluid ounces each) NESTLÉ CARNATION Evaporated Fat Free or Lowfat 2% Milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Gruyère cheese
PREHEAT oven to 350° F. Line bottom of 9- or 10-inch springform pan with parchment paper or foil. It’s best to use two sheets, crisscrossing the sheets. Place the side of the springform pan over the paper and close the latch. If using foil, fold the foil overhang up over the base of the pan. (Note: This step is necessary or the fluid will leak out. Alternately, a 9- or 10-inch-round cake pan will work and there is no need to line with foil.) Spray inside of pan with cooking spray.
COMBINE quinoa, butter, water and baking powder in medium bowl; stir well. Press firmly into bottom of prepared pan.
BAKE for 15 minutes.
HEAT oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until they begin to soften. Reduce heat to medium; stir in shallots and thyme. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Season with salt and pepper.
WHISK eggs in large bowl; gradually whisk in evaporated milk. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle half of the cheese over the crust. Top with mushroom mixture, egg mixture and remaining cheese.
BAKE for 65 to 70 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool for 15 minutes before serving. To serve, carefully loosen and lift side of springform pan. Gently peel away paper. Cut into wedges.