A hearty thanks goes to Rene Garza for creating this charming recipe. This sweet potato pie is surprisingly simple to put together and is a perfect treat for any occasion.
For more on this recipe and to view a how-to video visit the Nestlé Kitchens blog.
- 3/4 pound sweet potatoes (about 2 large or 3 small to medium)
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 can (14 ounces) NESTLÉ LA LECHERA FAT FREE Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell or Homemade Pie Crust*
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons dark corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 cup chopped pecans
PREHEAT oven to 375° F. Wash and wrap sweet potatoes in foil.
BAKE for 30 to 45 minutes, depending on size. Unwrap and rinse potatoes under cold water; remove skin. Break apart in large bowl.
INCREASE oven temperature to 425° F.
POUR melted butter in bowl with sweet potatoes. Beat with an electric mixer until smooth. Blend in sweetened condensed milk, grated orange peel, cinnamon, vanilla extract, nutmeg, salt and egg. Pour into unbaked pie shell.
BAKE at 425° F for 20 minutes. Remove from oven; reduce temperature to 350° F.
MIX together egg, corn syrup, sugar, butter and nuts in small bowl; spread over pie.
BAKE for an additional 25 minutes or until set.
* Homemade Pie Crust recipe