You'll love the beautiful colors and great flavors in this Penne with Swiss Chard and Toasted Pine Nuts recipe. Ready in less than 30 minutes.
- 1 pound dried penne pasta, prepared according to package directions, reserving 1/2 cup cooking water
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 5 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 8 cups (about 10 ounces) coarsely chopped Swiss chard or spinach leaves
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) BUITONI Refrigerated Freshly Shredded Romano Cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
HEAT 1 tablespoon oil in large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and crushed red pepper; cook for 30 seconds. Add Swiss chard; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 7 minutes or until Swiss chard is wilted.
STIR in pasta, reserved cooking water and remaining oil. Sprinkle with nuts, 3 tablespoons cheese and black pepper. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Review This Recipe
Delicious but needs adjustment
I feel like the ratio of pasta to chard is off by a lot! I halved the pasta and kept the rest or the ingredients the same and it still seemed like too much pasta.
Additions: chopped anchovies, and chopped tomato.
Good even with substitutions
We really enjoyed this recipe. Modified it - did not use the cooking water (b/c I forgot to save it) but I thought that was fine - that it might be soupy with the water. I used one bunch rainbow chard & one almost full bag spinach. Did not have pine nuts, so used toasted pumpkin seeds instead. Used more cheese. Thought feta cheese would be good substitute. Hubby ate leftovers for lunch for two following days, and still really liked it, a good sign!