Picadillo Casserole is a classic Cuban beef hash recipe. Bacon and ham and the savory cumin and oregano spices make for a flavorful mixture. Currants and stuffed olives give this dish a special final touch.
- 3 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 1 large potato, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup chopped ham
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup currants or raisins
- 1/4 cup pimiento-stuffed green olives, cut in half
- 2 MAGGI Beef Flavor Bouillon Cubes, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- Hot, cooked rice
- 4 sunny-side-up eggs (optional)
HEAT bacon drippings in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add potato; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 6 minutes or until browned. Remove from skillet; set aside.
COOK beef in skillet over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until no longer pink; drain. Stir in ham, onion, bell pepper and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in potato, currants, olives, bouillon, tomato sauce, cumin, oregano and vinegar.
SERVE over rice. Top with egg.
Review This Recipe
I wanted to make something different from our regular type of meal. This recipe was easy to make and mouth watering while cooking. I did include the eggs on the top, but would be wonderful by itself. I'm so glad that I tried it!
Read More Reviews