Picadillo Casserole is a classic Cuban beef hash recipe. Bacon and ham and the savory cumin and oregano spices make for a flavorful mixture. Currants and stuffed olives give this dish a special final touch.
- 3 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 1 large potato, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup chopped ham
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup currants or raisins
- 1/4 cup pimiento-stuffed green olives, cut in half
- 2 MAGGI Beef Flavor Bouillon Cubes, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- Hot, cooked rice
- 4 sunny-side-up eggs (optional)
Directions, Reviews, Nutrition
COOK beef in skillet over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until no longer pink; drain. Stir in ham, onion, bell pepper and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in potato, currants, olives, bouillon, tomato sauce, cumin, oregano and vinegar.
SERVE over rice. Top with egg.
What did you think? Share Your Review »
Thank you for reviewing this recipe.
This is a very tasty dish that is easy to prepare. You may want to add a little heat to spice it up.
Made this without the eggs. Not my favorite recipe. I don't like to cook with bacon fat due to the fact that animal fat is not good for your health. Will not try again.
I wanted to make something different from our regular type of meal. This recipe was easy to make and mouth watering while cooking. I did include the eggs on the top, but would be wonderful by itself. I'm so glad that I tried it!
Serving Size: 1/4 of Recipe
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.