Picadillo, seasoned chopped beef, is a great favorite throughout Latin America and every country has its own version. This Dominican variation, called Picadillo Potato Pie, includes hard-boiled eggs, raisins, olives, capers and mashed potatoes. It is a winning combination. Although this recipe takes some time to prepare, it is worth the effort. For ease in preparation, the picadillo filling or potato part can be made a day ahead or earlier in the day and refrigerated.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 sweet cubanelle or green peppers, finely chopped
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 MAGGI Chicken Flavor Bouillon Cube, dissolved in 1 1/4 cups hot water
- 6 pimiento-stuffed green olives, chopped
- 1 teaspoon capers
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 1 large hard-boiled egg, chopped
- POTATO PIE
- 3 1/2 pounds (7 to 8 medium) potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine
- 1 can (12 fluid ounces) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white or black pepper
- 1/4 cup (.75 ounce) BUITONI Refrigerated Freshly Shredded Parmesan Cheese
HEAT oil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add peppers, onion and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 to 3 minutes. Add ground beef; cook, stirring frequently, until no longer pink. Drain.
ADD tomato paste; stir to blend in. Stir in bouillon mixture, olives, capers and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid has evaporated. Reduce heat to low; add raisins. Cover; cook, stirring occasionally, for an additional 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Gently mix in chopped egg.
FOR POTATO PIE:
PREHEAT oven to 375° F. Grease 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
BOIL potatoes in salted water until tender; drain well. Mash potatoes while hot until smooth. Add butter; alternately mix in evaporated milk and eggs. Add salt and pepper; mix well.
PLACE half of mashed potatoes in prepared baking dish. Spoon Picadillo over potatoes. Gently spread remaining mashed potatoes over Picadillo. Sprinkle with cheese.
BAKE for 35 to 40 minutes or until cheese is slightly browned. Serve hot.
Review This Recipe
Almost like my Moms
Mom use to make this. But her was spicy. Both my sister and brother were delighted when I made it.
Read More Reviews