This Nestlé Kitchens Side Dish Recipe Contest finalist was submitted by Josie Shapiro. The recipe calls for Libby’s Pure Pumpkin to create this pumpkin bread stuffing; perfectly incorporating all the delicious fall flavors.
Learn more about this recipe and other recipe contest winners at the Nestlé Kitchens blog.
- PUMPKIN BREAD
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup LIBBY'S® 100% Pure Pumpkin
- 1 cup NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup white or regular whole-wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- FENNEL APPLE DELICIOUSNESS
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 1/2 cups chopped fennel bulbs (2 smallish bulbs, core and fronds discarded)
- 2 1/2 cups peeled, diced Granny Smith apples (2 to 3 apples)
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons fresh tarragon leaves, roughly chopped
FOR PUMPKIN BREAD:
PREHEAT oven to 400° F. Grease 8-inch-square baking pan.
WHISK together 6 tablespoons melted butter and brown sugar in large bowl; add pumpkin, evaporated milk and egg. Whisk until incorporated. Fold in flour, baking powder and salt. Pour into prepared baking pan.
BAKE for 25 to 30 minutes or until wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean. While pumpkin bread is baking, prepare Fennel Apple Deliciousness.
FOR FENNEL APPLE DELICIOUSNESS:
GREASE 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
MELT 8 tablespoons butter in a large, steep sided skillet or wok over medium heat. Add onion and chopped fennel; cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high; add diced apples and cook, stirring frequently, for 8 to 10 minutes or until beginning to brown around the edges. Add garlic and fennel seeds to skillet. Cook for 2 minutes. Stir in dried cranberries. Remove from heat; stir in salt, pepper and tarragon.
BREAK pumpkin bread into medium-size pieces; place in a large bowl. Stir in fennel-apple mixture. Transfer to prepared baking dish.
BAKE for 20 to 25 minutes or until heated through and top is toasted.
Cook’s Tip: Stuffing can be made in advance (don’t bake). Cover prepared stuffing tightly and refrigerate for two days. May need to increase bake time slightly until heated through and top is toasted. Can also be frozen. Thaw overnight in refrigerator before baking.