Surprise your trick-or treaters with this hauntingly-good pumpkin spice cake with a rich cream cheese frosting.
- 1 pkg. (18 oz.) spice or carrot cake mix
- 1 cup LIBBY'S® 100% Pure Pumpkin
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 2 pkgs. (3 oz. each) cream cheeese, softened
- 2 tablespoons margarine or butter, softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- *Black string licorice, NESTLÉ RAISINETS Milk Chocolate-Covered Raisins and Halloween candy corn (optional)
PREHEAT oven to 350º F. Grease and flour two 8- or 9-inch-round cake pans.
COMBINE cake mix, pumpkin, eggs, water, vegetable oil and pumpkin pie spice in large mixer bowl until moistened. Beat for 2 minutes or until thoroughly mixed. Pour batter into prepared pans.
BAKE for 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely. Frost with Cream Cheese Frosting.
FOR CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
BEAT cream cheese, margarine and vanilla extract in small mixer bowl until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in sugar. Spread between layers and on top and side of cake.
FORM licorice strings into ghost shapes; press into side of frosted cake. Use Raisinets for eyes. Arrange candy corn between ghosts on side and around top edge of frosted cake.
Review This Recipe
Perfect end to a Meal
I made this cake the weekend before Halloween for a get-together with my husband's new coworker and some other people. The frosting was delicious. Everyone dove right in and enjoyed the flavors. The little bit that was left went into work and my husband said it was gone before the second shift guys came in. Thanks for a great Fall recipe.
Read More Reviews