Quick Chicken Mole
Making authentic mole can be a time-consuming process. This quick and easy version takes a fraction of the time and is equally delicious.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 1 dried ancho or California chile, stemmed, seeded and roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Mini Morsels
- 1/2 chipotle chile in adobo sauce from a can
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup diced canned tomatoes with juice
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons raisins or currants
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds, plus more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon MAGGI Granulated Chicken Flavor Bouillon
- 1/4 cup NESTLÉ ABUELITA Mexican Chocolate Style Flavor NESTLÉ COFFEE-MATE Liquid Coffee Creamer
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (6 thighs total)
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- Lime wedges
- Cooked rice and/or warm corn tortillas for serving (optional)
Directions, Reviews, Nutrition
HEAT oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring frequently, for 3 minutes or until softened.
STIR in ancho chile, morsels, chipotle chile and cinnamon; cook for 1 minute or until spices are fragrant and chocolate is melted.
STIR in garlic; cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Stir in water, tomatoes with juice, almonds, raisins, sesame seeds and bouillon; cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes or until slightly thickened.
TRANSFER chile mixture to a blender or food processor along with Coffee-mate; cover. Blend until smooth. You should have about 1 2/3 cups mole sauce.
PLACE chicken in large bowl; top with 2/3 cup mole sauce. Toss to coat.
GRILL chicken for about 8 minutes, turning once, until browned and no longer pink in center. Place chicken on a serving plate, sprinkle with cilantro leaves and additional sesame seeds. Serve with remaining 1 cup mole sauce, lime wedges, cooked rice and/or tortillas.
Cook’s Tip: Like a lot of sauce? The Mole Sauce can be easily doubled. Just increase cook times by a minute or two (excluding garlic cook time). Sauce may be prepared, cooled and refrigerated in an air-tight container for up to 3 days. Loosen the sauce with a small amount of water if needed.
What did you think? Share Your Review »
Be the first to review this recipe!
Thank you for reviewing this recipe.
Serving Size: 1/6 of Recipe
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 300
- Calories from Fat: 120
- Total Fat: 13g (20% of DV)
- Saturated Fat: 2.5g (12% of DV)
- Cholesterol: 125mg (42% of DV)
- Sodium: 370mg (15% of DV)
- Carbohydrates: 13g (4% of DV)
- Dietary Fiber: 2g (8% of DV)
- Sugars: 6g
- Protein: 32g
- Vitamin A: 15% of DV
- Vitamin C: 8% of DV
- Calcium: 4% of DV
- Iron: 25% of DV
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.