The robust flavors in this Red Chile & Pork Tamale Pie will make a favorite that you'll want to make often. Great for lunch, brunch and dinner. Serve warm.
- 1 package (16 ounces) corn bread mix, batter prepared according to package directions
- 10 dried guajillo or ancho chiles, stemmed and seeded
- 2 cups hot water
- 10 cloves garlic
- 2 canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, seeds removed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups Apple NESTLÉ® JUICY JUICE® 100% Juice
- 2 MAGGI Chicken Flavor Bouillon Cubes, dissolved in 2 cups hot water
- 3 pounds boneless pork shoulder
PLACE dried chiles in a blender. Add hot water; let stand for 15 minutes.
ADD garlic, chipotle chiles, cinnamon, oregano and black pepper to the blender; puree on high speed.
Strain the sauce into a large enameled cast-iron casserole, pressing on the solids. Add Juicy Juice, bouillon mixture and pork to the casserole; bring to a boil over high heat. Cover partially; cook over low heat for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until the pork is fork tender.
TRANSFER the pork to a bowl using a slotted spoon; let cool slightly. Boil the sauce for about 20 minutes or until it is reduced to 4 cups.
SHRED the pork with 2 forks and return it to the sauce. Cook, uncovered, for about 20 minutes
or until the sauce is reduced and just coats the pork.
PREHEAT oven to 375° F.
SPREAD half of the prepared corn bread batter into the bottom of an 8- or 10-inch cast iron skillet. Spread the pork filling evenly over the mix.
SPOON remaining corn bread batter evenly on top of the pork.
BAKE for 15 to 20 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in corn bread comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes. Serve warm.