Red Velvet Cupcakes are all about the cream cheese frosting and rich cake color, so Nestlé Kitchens
set out to create this recipe with even more chocolate, using TOLL HOUSE® Baking Cocoa
, and rich, lighter
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1/3 cup NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Baking Cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 to 2 tablespoons liquid red food coloring or 1/2 to 1 teaspoon red gel-paste food coloring
- 1 cup lowfat buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 8 ounces light cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Candy sprinkles (optional)
PREHEAT oven to 350° F. Paper-line 22 muffin cups.
SIFT flour, baking cocoa and salt together into a medium bowl.
WHISK together sugar, oil and eggs in large mixer bowl until thoroughly combined. Whisk in food coloring. Gradually stir in flour mixture alternately with buttermilk (adding flour in three additions and buttermilk in two). Combine baking soda and vinegar in small bowl (it will foam); quickly fold into batter. Divide batter between paper cups, filling about 2/3 full.
BAKE for 18 to 20 minutes or until cupcake springs back when touched. Cool in pan for 10 minutes; remove to wire rack to cool completely.
FOR CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
BEAT cream cheese and butter in large mixer bowl until light and fluffy, scraping down sides of bowl occasionally. Gradually beat in powdered sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla extract. Pipe onto cupcakes; decorate with sprinkles.