Topped with colorful candy sprinkles, each cupcake features red velvet cake beneath a layer of kissable cream cheese frosting. These luscious cupcakes will satisfy every generation of your family on Valentine's Day or any other day of the year.
- 1 bar (4 ounces) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Dark Chocolate Baking Bar, broken into small pieces
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon red food coloring
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- Assorted sprinkles (optional)
PREHEAT oven to 350º F. Paper-line 18 muffin cups.
MICROWAVE chocolate in small, uncovered, microwave-safe bowl on MEDIUM-HIGH (70%) power for 45 seconds; STIR. If pieces retain some of their original shape, microwave at additional 10- to 15-second intervals, stirring just until melted. Cool to room temperature.
COMBINE flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Combine milk and vinegar in small glass measure. Beat sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl on high for 2 minutes. Carefully beat in melted chocolate and red food coloring. Gradually beat in flour mixture alternately with milk mixture. Spoon into prepared muffin cups, filling 2/3 full.
BAKE for 22 to 27 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely. Frost with Cream Cheese Frosting. Top with sprinkles, if desired.
FOR CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
BEAT cream cheese, butter, milk and vanilla extract in medium mixer bowl until light and fluffy, scraping bowl occasionally. Gradually beat in powdered sugar until light and fluffy. Makes about 1 3/4 cups.
• You may substitute store bought cream cheese frosting (one 16-oz. container) to save time.
• Frosting can be piped on with a pastry bag for a professional look.
Review This Recipe
Read More Reviews