Rice with Pigeon Peas
Try this easy new holiday side dish everyone will love! It's packed with flavor and nutrition: rice, vegetables, spices, cilantro and green pigeon peas or black eyed peas.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup finely chopped cilantro leaves
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 cups long-grain white rice
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) no-salt added diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch achiote powder (optional)
- 1 can (15 ounces) green pigeon peas (gandules) OR black eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon MAGGI Granulated Chicken Flavor Bouillon OR 1 tablet MAGGI Chicken Flavor Bouillon, crushed, dissolved in 4 cups warm water
- Chopped fresh cilantro leaves for garnish
Directions, Reviews, Nutrition
COOK'S TIP: To save time you can use 2 cups of prepared sofrito mix. Omit onion, green bell pepper, cilantro, garlic and diced tomatoes. In directions above add the sofrito mix instead of the diced tomatoes.
What did you think? Share Your Review »
Be the first to review this recipe!
Thank you for reviewing this recipe.
Serving Size: 1/10 of Recipe
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 210
- Calories from Fat: 30
- Total Fat: 3g (5% of DV)
- Saturated Fat: 0g (0% of DV)
- Cholesterol: 0mg (0% of DV)
- Sodium: 510mg (21% of DV)
- Carbohydrates: 40g (13% of DV)
- Dietary Fiber: 3g (13% of DV)
- Sugars: 3g
- Protein: 6g
- Vitamin A: 8% of DV
- Vitamin C: 30% of DV
- Calcium: 4% of DV
- Iron: 15% of DV
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.