Try this easy new holiday side dish everyone will love! It's packed with flavor and nutrition: rice, vegetables, spices, cilantro and green pigeon peas or black eyed peas.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup finely chopped cilantro leaves
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 cups long-grain white rice
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) no-salt added diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch achiote powder (optional)
- 1 can (15 ounces) green pigeon peas (gandules) OR black eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon MAGGI Granulated Chicken Flavor Bouillon OR 1 tablet MAGGI Chicken Flavor Bouillon, crushed, dissolved in 4 cups warm water
- Chopped fresh cilantro leaves for garnish
HEAT oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, 1 cup cilantro and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until vegetables are soft. Add rice; cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes or until rice turns opaque. Stir in diced tomatoes, oregano, achiote powder, pigeon peas and tomato paste; cook for 1 minute. Stir in bouillon mixture; bring to a boil. Cover tightly; reduce heat to low. Cook for 25 to 30 minutes or until tender and most of liquid has evaporated. Serve garnished with cilantro.
COOK'S TIP: To save time you can use 2 cups of prepared sofrito mix. Omit onion, green bell pepper, cilantro, garlic and diced tomatoes. In directions above add the sofrito mix instead of the diced tomatoes.