- 1 (3-pound) butternut squash
- Extra-virgin olive oil for roasting squash
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium shallots, chopped
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon MAGGI Instant Chicken Flavor Bouillon
- 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons curry powder, ground cumin or ground ginger
- 1/2 cup NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Fat Free Milk
- 1 teaspoon packed brown sugar
- Light sour cream (optional)
PREHEAT oven to 375° F.
CUT squash in half through the stem and remove the seeds. Drizzle cut edges with oil; season with salt and pepper. Place cut-side-down on a baking sheet.
ROAST squash for 1 hour or until very soft. Remove from oven; turn the halves over and let stand until cool enough to handle. Scoop flesh from shells into a bowl and discard shells.
MELT butter over medium heat in large saucepan. Add shallots; cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add the squash flesh, water, bouillon and curry powder; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover; cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until squash is broken down.
COOL squash mixture for about 5 minutes before adding it to a blender. Working in batches, puree until smooth, transferring the mixture to a saucepan as you work. Stir in evaporated milk and sugar. Season with pepper; cook a few minutes over medium heat to combine the flavors. Ladle soup into serving bowls; swirl in a dollop of sour cream. Season with freshly ground black pepper, if desired.