Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 (3-pound) butternut squash
- Extra-virgin olive oil for roasting squash
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium shallots, chopped
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon MAGGI Instant Chicken Flavor Bouillon
- 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons curry powder, ground cumin or ground ginger
- 1/2 cup NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Fat Free Milk
- 1 teaspoon packed brown sugar
- Light sour cream (optional)
Directions, Reviews, Nutrition
CUT squash in half through the stem and remove the seeds. Drizzle cut edges with oil; season with salt and pepper. Place cut-side-down on a baking sheet.
ROAST squash for 1 hour or until very soft. Remove from oven; turn the halves over and let stand until cool enough to handle. Scoop flesh from shells into a bowl and discard shells.
MELT butter over medium heat in large saucepan. Add shallots; cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add the squash flesh, water, bouillon and curry powder; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover; cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until squash is broken down.
COOL squash mixture for about 5 minutes before adding it to a blender. Working in batches, puree until smooth, transferring the mixture to a saucepan as you work. Stir in evaporated milk and sugar. Season with pepper; cook a few minutes over medium heat to combine the flavors. Ladle soup into serving bowls; swirl in a dollop of sour cream. Season with freshly ground black pepper, if desired.
What did you think? Share Your Review »
Be the first to review this recipe!
Thank you for reviewing this recipe.
Serving Size: 1/8 of Recipe
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 100
- Calories from Fat: 35
- Total Fat: 4g (6% of DV)
- Saturated Fat: 2g (10% of DV)
- Cholesterol: 10mg (3% of DV)
- Sodium: 450mg (19% of DV)
- Carbohydrates: 15g (5% of DV)
- Dietary Fiber: 2g (8% of DV)
- Sugars: 5g
- Protein: 2g
- Vitamin A: 190% of DV
- Vitamin C: 35% of DV
- Calcium: 8% of DV
- Iron: 4% of DV
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.