This colorful assortment of fresh roasted vegetables topped with a delicious rich and creamy Swiss cheese white wine sauce steals the show as an appetizing side dish.
- 8 cups (about 2 lb. total) zucchini and/or yellow summer squash, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 medium red bell peppers, cored, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 small red onion, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, divided
- 1 cup NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Lowfat 2% Milk
- 1/4 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 1/2 cups (6 oz.) shredded Swiss cheese, divided
PREHEAT oven to 400° F. Line baking sheet with foil.
PLACE zucchini, bell peppers and onion in single layer on prepared baking sheet. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon black pepper and 1/4 teaspoon thyme; toss lightly to coat.
BAKE for 20 to 25 minutes or until vegetables are just tender. Transfer to 2-quart serving dish.
MEANWHILE, HEAT evaporated milk, wine, cornstarch, remaining 1/4 teaspoon black pepper and remaining 1/4 teaspoon thyme, salt and onion powder in small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring just to a boil; reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring constantly, for 2 to 3 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in cheese, 1/2 cup at a time, allowing each addition to be melted before adding more cheese. Remove from heat.
POUR cheese sauce over vegetables; toss lightly to coat. Season with additional salt and black pepper, if desired. Serve immediately.
• Large diameter zucchini or yellow summer squash may be cut in half or quarters
Review This Recipe
I thought this dish was very good. I used orange peppers instead of the red, although I'm sure the red peppers would have been good as well, the next time I make this I will add mushrooms. I sprinkled a little garlic salt on it too.
Read More Reviews