Salmon Stuffed Egg Tapas
Hard-cooked eggs stuffed with shrimp or tuna are typically served at Spanish tapas bars. This uniquely delicious version from Madrid features salmon-stuffed eggs coated with white sauce and bread crumbs, and then fried to crispy perfection. Several steps are done in advance and this simplifies the preparation.
- SALMON FILLING
- 6 hard-cooked eggs, cut in half lengthwise
- 1/2 cup canned boneless salmon
- 3 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped parsley
- WHITE SAUCE
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white or black pepper
- 1 can (12 fl. oz.) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- COATING AND FRYING
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup plain bread crumbs
- Vegetable oil for frying
Directions, Reviews, Nutrition
FLAKE salmon and combine it in small bowl with tomato sauce, 3 hard-boiled egg yolks, salt, pepper, and parsley. Remove remaining egg yolks from egg halves. Discard or reserve for other use. Stuff egg whites with salmon mixture, forming a slight mound. Refrigerate stuffed eggs.
FOR WHITE SAUCE:
MELT butter in small saucepan. Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Gradually add evaporated milk and broth. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture just becomes thickened. Cool for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
TO COAT, DIP AND FRY:
LINE large plate with wax paper. Carefully dip stuffed eggs in white sauce, coating on all sides. Place eggs on prepared plate. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or until the sauce sets. Dip coated eggs in beaten eggs; cover with breadcrumbs. Freeze for 10 minutes.
ADD oil to about 1 1/2-inch depth in large, deep skillet; heat to 350° F. Fry eggs carefully just until eggs are brown on all sides. Drain on paper towels. Serve immediately.
NOTE: Use leftover white sauce over pasta or vegetables for a delicious weekday meal.
What did you think? Share Your Review »
Thank you for reviewing this recipe.
Salmon stuffed Egg Tapas
I have been looking for this recipe long time ago! it is delicious!
Serving Size: 1/12 of Recipe
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 170
- Calories from Fat: 120
- Total Fat: 13g (20% of DV)
- Saturated Fat: 6g (30% of DV)
- Cholesterol: 135mg (45% of DV)
- Sodium: 340mg (14% of DV)
- Carbohydrates: 6g (2% of DV)
- Dietary Fiber: 0g (0% of DV)
- Sugars: 3g
- Protein: 8g
- Vitamin A: 8% of DV
- Vitamin C: 2% of DV
- Calcium: 10% of DV
- Iron: 4% of DV
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.