Sancocho Stew is a festive and nourishing dish popular in the Latino world, packed with the flavor of yams, potatoes, plantains, chicken, beef and ham.
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 lbs. beef or goat stew meat, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 5 cups water
- 1 large yam, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium russet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large, firm ripe plantain, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 MAGGI Beef Flavor Bouillon Cubes, crushed
- 1 lb. ham, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 ears of corn, cut into 1-inch slices (optional)
- 1 jar (3.5 oz.) capers, drained (optional)
- 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
Directions, Reviews, Nutrition
half of mixture over beef. Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat.
Add beef; cook, stirring occasionally, until no longer pink. Remove from pan.
Sprinkle remaining herb mixture over chicken. Cook chicken until no longer pink,
adding more oil if necessary. Remove from pan. Cook onion, bell pepper and garlic
until tender, adding more oil if necessary.
ADD beef to vegetables in saucepan. Stir in water, yam, potato,
plantain and bouillon. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce
heat to medium-low. Cover; cook for 30 minutes. Add chicken and ham; cover. Cook for an additional 40 minutes
or until beef is tender. Mash potatoes, yam and plantain in pot with potato
masher. Stir in corn, capers and hot pepper sauce. Cook for 10 minutes or until
corn is tender.
What did you think? Share Your Review »
Thank you for reviewing this recipe.
This soup is excellent. I also substituted the beef with grouper head. What a really tasty meal! Great for a nice rainy day or when you're feeling blue.
Great Meal for those cold rainy days
Very hearty and tasty dish. It is also eaten with a small portion of white rice on the side. great recipe. A++++++.......
Serving Size: 1/6 of Recipe
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.