These Savory Parmesan Bread sticks are soft, tender and tasty. Freshly made and topped with parmesan and herbs, you'll never buy the canned bread sticks again. Goes great with any type of pasta dish with extra sauce to dip in.
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 packet (1/4 oz.) rapid-rising yeast
- 1 1/4 cups (110° to 115° F) warm water
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour plus extra for kneading
- 3/4 cup dry NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Instant Nonfat Dry Milk
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) plus 2 tablespoons butter, melted, divided
GREASE 2 large baking sheets. Combine cheese, herbs and garlic powder in small bowl; set aside.
STIR yeast into warm water in small bowl. Combine flour, dry milk, sugar and salt in large bowl. Add 1/2 cup butter and yeast mixture to flour mixture. Stir until blended and sticky dough is formed.
PLACE dough on lightly floured surface; knead for 6 to 8 minutes, until dough is smooth and elastic, adding additional flour as necessary. Cut into 24 pieces. While working with dough, keep covered with plastic wrap. Roll each piece into a 10-inch long rope. Flatten rope slightly; holding ends, twist and place on prepared baking sheet. Press down ends. Brush dough with remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Sprinkle with cheese mixture. Allow to rise in warm place for 15 minutes or until risen slightly.
PREHEAT oven to 375° F.
BAKE for 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown. Remove from baking sheets to wire racks. Serve warm. Store remaining tightly covered.