Slow Cooker Fettuccine Bolognese
Making a traditional Bolognese (Italian meat & tomato) sauce is easy with a slow cooker. Simply start the sauce on the stove, then transfer to a slow cooker and let simmer for several hours. A combination of pork and beef is traditional, but you can use any meat you like.
- 2 tablespoons butter or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme (optional)
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper
- 3 ounces thinly sliced pancetta, chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds ground meat (blend of beef chuck, veal and/or pork)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2/3 cup (5 fluid-ounce can) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon MAGGI Beef or Chicken Flavor Instant Bouillon OR 1/3 MAGGI Beef or Chicken Flavor Bouillon Tablet
- 3 to 4 packages BUITONI Refrigerated Fettuccine (9 oz.)
- 3/4 cup BUITONI Refrigerated Freshly Shredded Parmesan Cheese (5 oz.)
- Fresh thyme sprigs for garnish
Directions, Reviews, Nutrition
INCREASE heat to medium-high; add the pancetta. Cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes or until pancetta is golden. Add the meat a third at a time, stirring and breaking lumps with a spoon between each addition. Cook for about 15 minutes total (this is where this recipe develops so much flavor, so let it cook the full 15 minutes).
STIR in tomato paste; cook for about 2 minutes. Add wine; bring to a boil. With a wooden spoon, scrape all the brown bits stuck to the bottom of the pan and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until wine has almost evaporated.
TRANSFER mixture to slow cooker along with tomatoes with juice, evaporated milk, water and bouillon; stir to combine. Cover; cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 6 hours.
PREPARE pasta according to package directions. Serve sauce over pasta. Top with cheese; garnish with thyme sprigs.
What did you think? Share Your Review »
Be the first to review this recipe!
Thank you for reviewing this recipe.
Serving Size: 1/14 of Recipe
Servings Per Recipe: 14
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 350
- Calories from Fat: 120
- Total Fat: 14g (21% of DV)
- Saturated Fat: 5g (27% of DV)
- Cholesterol: 75mg (26% of DV)
- Sodium: 450mg (19% of DV)
- Carbohydrates: 35g (12% of DV)
- Dietary Fiber: 3g (13% of DV)
- Sugars: 4g
- Protein: 18g
- Vitamin A: 20% of DV
- Vitamin C: 10% of DV
- Calcium: 6% of DV
- Iron: 10% of DV
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.